To bring the Smithsonian Channel’s existing Android app up to par with its award-winning, highly rated iOS apps, Potion, an interaction design and technology agency, approached Big Nerd Ranch about a partnership to redevelop the app from scratch.
- Develop a best-in-class Android app experience allowing participants to engage with the Smithsonian Channel brand through better content discovery and consumption functionality.
- Build out Chromecast integration and include the ability to favorite, share and curate content within the app and via social media channels.
- Deliver content that users could easily find and navigate.
- Add Chromecast support for video playback.
- Add modern UX and UI featuring material design.
Your story could be next .
Our design and development teams worked closely with Potion to deliver an app that adheres to Android best practices and delivered on the client’s needs by:
- Creating a custom “quick pick” feature that enhanced video discovery
- Leveraging third-party tools to develop at a smooth pace
- Increasing engagement through design updates, additional features and improved performance
Our team then went to work on additional capabilities including:
- Delivering a modern user experience that adheres to Android platform best practices and user expectations
- Developing splash screens, video loading, A-Z fast scrolling and featured playlists
- Creating interstitial animations to provide a transition between videos that ties back to the television experience.
Solution & Results
By working collaboratively with Potion and our Android and Design teams, Big Nerd Ranch delivered an app that incorporates best-in-class Android development and UX standards. We added new, unique features such as Chromecast integration and social sharing functionality, helping to improve content discoverability and increase content consumption.
The app’s look and feel resonate with the Smithsonian Channel’s brand and ties to the iOS app while delivering the experience and look that Android users expect.
- App rating improved from 4.0 to 4.3
- Active devices increased 43%
- The number of total downloads increased 29%
Taking Machine Learning from Concept to Product
A pharmaceutical applications company wanted a way to easily verify that the right pharmaceutical product was in the hands...Read More
Navy / SoarTech
Navy F/A-18 fighter pilots need access to vital information quickly – traditionally this information is a literal stack of...Read More